Art Alexion on 3 Jan 2009 05:30:22 -0800

Re: [PLUG] New Broadcom STA Linux Driver

Michael Bevilacqua wrote:

> This remindes me of Dell's Mini9, where instead of building it to be
> native hardware supported linux, they fell back on the ndiswrapper. How
> disgusting can you get? Hey Dell, you are the hardware assembler. Why
> not use your powers and make your product based on kernel supported
> hardware?

One of the things I found odd about the Dell Mini was that they have
their own Canonical repository.  This is in contrast to the Ubuntu eee
tweak that uses the regular Ubuntu repositories with the addition of a
couple for a tuned kernel and interface.  The advantage of the latter is
that the Ubuntu eee gets security and bug fixes as soon as they are
available in the main repos.  In contrast, I have read complaints on the
  Dell Linux list that the Mini 9 repo isn't getting updated regularly.
  My question, in reading that, is, why take on that extra work and
layer of complexity and then not keep up with it?