Casey Bralla on 3 Jan 2009 16:16:04 -0800

[PLUG] Which MTA to Use? Suggestions Wanted.

I've been successfully using postfix for my smtp server for my small domain for several years. It has handled virtual users with aplomb, and let me integrate spamassassin (with some work).

However, I recently had to try to open up my server so users can do a secure login from outside my firewall. Unfortunately, I've hit a hard brick wall getting AUTH to function. (It seems to work but rejects all logins.)

I've read every bloody how-to and help-me forum message I can find, and the only positive development is that I know I'm not alone in having this problem. I've even gone so far as to load a pristine copy of Debian Etch stable on an old server and followed the how-to to the letter. No good.

I'm therefore considering other MTAs, and would like suggestions. Here's the ones I'm thinking of:

1. Courier. (I'm using courier-IMAP and courier-POP, so this probably won't be a big jump.)

2. Exim. (This is the default MTA for Debian, but I've never used it.)

3. netqmail (Based on the oddball Daniel Bernstein's code... that kills it right off.)

4. Postfix (Just like the Little Engine That Could.... "I think I can, I think I can....)

Anybody have any suggestions?

--

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence