Toby DiPasquale on 3 Jan 2009 18:12:28 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Which MTA to Use? Suggestions Wanted.

On Jan 3, 2009, at 19:15, Casey Bralla <MailList@NerdWorld.org> wrote:
> I've been successfully using postfix for my smtp server for my small
> domain for several years. It has handled virtual users with aplomb,
> and let me integrate spamassassin (with some work).
>
> However, I recently had to try to open up my server so users can do
> a secure login from outside my firewall. Unfortunately, I've hit a
> hard brick wall getting AUTH to function. (It seems to work but
> rejects all logins.)
>
> I've read every bloody how-to and help-me forum message I can find,
> and the only positive development is that I know I'm not alone in
> having this problem. I've even gone so far as to load a pristine
> copy of Debian Etch stable on an old server and followed the how-to
> to the letter. No good.
>
> I'm therefore considering other MTAs, and would like suggestions.
> Here's the ones I'm thinking of:
>
> 1. Courier. (I'm using courier-IMAP and courier-POP, so this
> probably won't be a big jump.)

Never used this one.

> 2. Exim. (This is the default MTA for Debian, but I've never used it.)

This is probably your best bet. Exim is designed to be easy to
configure and administer. If you're having trouble with postfix, I'd
try this next.

> 3. netqmail (Based on the oddball Daniel Bernstein's code... that
> kills it right off.)

No.

> 4. Postfix (Just like the Little Engine That Could.... "I think I
> can, I think I can....)

You shouldn't be having this much trouble with Postfix, but there a
bunch of things which could be wrong with your config. Personally, I'd
prefer to use postfix, but if you're not digging it there are
alternatives.

--
Toby DiPasquale