edmond rodriguez on 18 Jan 2009 15:49:14 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Fun with Viruses, really

Ahhh, I helped someone deal with this not too long ago.   I was
thinking maybe it was software that would not do damage, but with a
very deceptive and aggressive strategy to get you to install and keep
using it.   It is really hard to uninstall, and probably impossible for
someone that does not know how to navigate file systems.

But from this randomly googled web site, I guess maybe it would do damage to a system.

http://www.xp-vista.com/spyware-removal/antivirus-360-antivirus360-removal-instructions

Not
sure what it's goal is, other than to get you to buy some software and
scare you.  I have only heard of people complaining of its presence  and
deceiving panels telling you your machine is in trouble and you need to
buy something else to fix it (though I did not research it much).  That is threatening and damaging enough.
And it plays games with your systems restore points.  So I guess that
is a virus of sorts.

I have not seen anything that says it actually causes additional damage
to your machine, though perhaps it does do more damage, like getting
personal information or infecting files.  Never saw it progress that
far, and read very little news about it.