Art Alexion on 19 Jan 2009 03:50:19 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Fun with Viruses, really

On 01/18/2009 edmond rodriguez wrote:
> Not
> sure what it's goal is, other than to get you to buy some software and
> scare you.  I have only heard of people complaining of its presence  and
> deceiving panels telling you your machine is in trouble and you need to
> buy something else to fix it (though I did not research it much).  That is threatening and damaging enough.
> And it plays games with your systems restore points.  So I guess that
> is a virus of sorts.

I understand that it is a big money maker.  The price they ask is
relatively small, and a lot of people just pay it to make the alerts go
away.  Of course, I don't know if paying the  money actually does make
it go away.

Surprised to see the site was registered to a Braziliam entity, and not
Eastern European or Chinese where most of this stuff seems to originate.