David A. Harding on 26 Jan 2009 08:40:59 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux Laptop recommendation

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:23:48AM -0500, Russ Wenner wrote:
> I [want] a laptop were everything works out-of-the-box [for] around
> $1000. What would you recommend?

I take a Knoppix CD to a computer show, find a laptop I want, and ask
the vendor if I can boot the live CD on the demo laptop. They always say
yes. If Knoppix supports the features I want, I buy.

Now, the vendors at a local computer show mostly sell refurbished
laptops, but you may be able to buy a one-year-warranty from the vendor.

Except for my Asus EeePC, I've bought every laptop this way for the last
seven years, and I assure you, it's a blessing to know *first-hand*
before you pay that your laptop works with GNU+Linux.

-Dave
--
David A. Harding	    Website:  http://dtrt.org/
1 (609) 997-0765	      Email:  dave@dtrt.org