Steven Phillips on 6 Feb 2009 14:47:07 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Running installed WinXP in a vm

I would think that WinXp would deactivate itself do to the massive change in hardware from the real hardware to the virtual iron. In my (admittedly limited) experience with VM's, I don't recall seeing any way of booting a vm copy of an installed os. I have seen it boot from an iso, so maybe if you create an iso from your hard drive, you might be able to use that. With a dedicated folder on the root of the drive, you would be able to save documents from the virtual machine for the installed version. It would be easier to use a flash drive for that, imo.
      Steve Phillips

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 12:58:08 -0800 (PST)
From: edmond rodriguez <erodrig_97@yahoo.com>
Subject: [PLUG] Running an existing native installed XP on a virtual
       machine?
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List
       <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>

While we are on the topic of virtual machines, I am curious if anyone has had success running XP on a virtual machine on Linux using an existing XP installed partition (native install).

My machine came with XP installed, and I could only back it up, but not make an install disk (that I know of).   And it would be nice to be able to still boot XP natively and have it reflect any work I did while running on a virtual machine.

I already know there must be many issues, like hardware recognition, video settings, etc, and the risk of things getting corrupted.  I also know some or all of the recognition is dynamic, so maybe it would fix all the issues during boot time.

Edmond Rodriguez