Bill Hance on 9 Feb 2009 14:19:46 -0800

[PLUG] reducing DNS expiry value

  I am going to be changing the IP address of a web and email server.  I
also serve the DNS for the domain.  Is it the BIND "expiry" value that I
want to reduce to something like one hour in advance of the change?
There are configurable values for refresh, retry, expiry, and minimum
TTL.

  I set the expiry value from 4W to 1D for all my domains a few weeks ago,
and want to make sure I'm on the right track.  If I understand the
process correctly, a couple of days prior to the change, I could change
the expiry value to 1H.