sean finney on 13 Feb 2009 16:32:56 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Postfix help?

hiya,

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 03:39:08PM -0500, Ezra Wolfe wrote:
> When I look directly in the queue, only about 8 of the queued messages show
> errors (connection refused, couldn't connect), the rest are fine and most
> are to our company's email (using gmail's small hosted service), which is up
> and running fine. The messages are just sitting there in the queue. They go
> out eventually, but there's no reason I can see that they shouldn't all send
> almost instantly.

i have two suggestions:

#1 take a look at the message headers, of some arbitrary mail for which you
see this delay.   in particular the Recieved: headers to see if the
delay shows up at an identifiable part of the process (i think amavis
should insert received headers, and your postfix daemon may process the
mail both before and after depending on the configuration in which case
there will be even more of them, and you'll also get the Recieved headers
from the next hop out.

#2 try "really" disabling amavis, by removing the relevant lines from
main.cf and master.cf.  there might also be references in other files
in /etc/postfix, depending on how it's configured there might be custom
transports or relay maps or something.

> I tried turning off the clamav from the OSX admin panel and postfix stopped
> running completely.

it probably turned of amavis but not the configuration in postfix that
tries to route mail through amavis. in that case it'd just start queueing
up messages waiting amavis to come back online.  then again i'm only
guessing, since i'm not too familiar with any special tricks that OS X
might be doing with their fancy-pants dashboard thingie :)

taking a look at the output of mailq after you turned off amavis should
be enlightening in that regard.

> content_filter = smtp-amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024

is the relevant line i see from a cursory look in the output you provided.
i don't know if amavis is configured to send the mail directly after processing
it, or if it hands it back to postfix on another port (in which case there
should be some extra configuration in master.cf).

btw, i find the online documentation for postfix really helpful.
on postfix.org they have a "all main.cf variables" page, which has links to
pretty much all the other relevant documentation (i.e. if you're reading
about a variable related to transports there will be links to the pages
about transport maps).  priceless!

	sean