zuzu on 16 Feb 2009 18:48:17 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Public Service Announcement (Really)

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Brian Vagnoni <bvagnoni@v-system.net> wrote:

> Yes there are some USB dongles that support up to 500mw. I own one it's called an Alfa AWUS036H but they are in the minority. Most PC-Card are 100mw, though I also own a UBNT 300mw PC-Card. Many don't support external antennas. Your average Linksys WAP54G supports 70mw. The Philadelphia Wireless supplied PepLink used a 200mw Atheros 5212 radio with a non-diversity 9dbi external antenna. These weren't enough to make a good stable Cisco recommended 35db SNR connection even when sitting below the street mounted AP. But I admit I've tested speeds anywhere from below dialup to 3mb x 3mb.

600mw atheros cards are available from Ubiquiti.

http://www.ubnt.com/products/
http://www.ubnt.com/products/xr2.php
http://www.ubnt.com/products/xr5.php

There are less expensive but equally powerful (claimed) solutions
though, such as the Senao / enGenius cards.

You can also get 3-25 watt amplifiers from Hyperlinktech / L-com, but
at that level I _think_ either you need some kind of commercial
license, or you're invoking Part 97 of the Amateur Radio license
(which allows up to 1500W).

http://www.l-com.com/category.aspx?id=2021
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_multimedia_radio