Michael Leone on 20 Feb 2009 12:16:39 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Final backup question, at least I hope so

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Jeff Bailey <skydiver38@comcast.net> wrote:
> I'd be interested in learning why ext3 is a poor choice as well...

Actually, it was me who said to Adam that I thought ext3 was perhaps
not the best choice for such a large external drive. (I never said
"poor"). I was wondering if a different journaling system would be
more appropriate, for speed mostly, and also perhaps for size of
partition. I said I thought I had heard that one of the other choices
(such as XFS) might be better. Not ResierFS, which I personally had
problems with in the past, and I am unsure of it's continued
development).

So it was more of a question than a pronouncement. I've been told that
ext3 is ext2 with journalling added in. And perhaps using a FS
designed from the start as a journalling system would be a better
choice.

--
Michael J. Leone, <mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

P. J. O'Rourke  - "Everybody knows how to raise children, except the
people who have them."