Alex Launi on 22 Feb 2009 13:41:17 -0800

Re: [PLUG] ATI Open Source Driver Status

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Gordon Dexter <gordon@texasdex.com> wrote:
So I guess nVidia is the practical, safe choice and ATI is the principled, long-term optimistic choice.

This isn't exactly true, the free ATI drivers at this moment are very good, and the radeonHD for the new high end cards are currently great at 2d and their 3d capabilities are getting better very quickly. I've been using the free ATI drivers for a long time, they're fantastic. Have had many more problems with nvidia thatn I have the free ATI drivers. In the near future there will be a lot of cool features that you will not be able to take advantage of with nvidia, that ATI will be able to, thinks like kernel mode setting, GEM, and xrandr.

--
--Alex Launi