George Langford on 12 Mar 2009 14:35:41 -0700

Re: [PLUG] How to make full use of a 1680x1050 monitor in debian

> ... How to I open two documents at once, side by side, so I can
> compare, edit, etc. between the two ? I know I can do it by resizing
> the open windows manually, but is there a more elegant way,
> analogous to using twin monitors ?

Roman Stanchak suggested:
> Is this along the lines of what you're looking for?
> http://lifehacker.com/5157631/maxto-divides-and-conquers-your-screen-real-estate
>
> The tool in the article is windows only, but the comments might
> provide some useful links.

Yesser: xmonad.  I downloaded 48MB using apt-get, whereupon xmonad
gobbled up 228MB
of disk space.  No hassles involved with the subsequent installation.

Then I added the following to my /usr/share/xsessions folder:
> george@debianatGB:/usr/share/xsessions$ cat xmonad.desktop
> [Desktop Entry]
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Name=XMonad
> Comment=Lightweight tiling window manager
> Comment=This session starts xmonad
> # Exec=xmonad
> Exec=/usr/bin/xmonad
> Icon=xmonad.png
> Type=XSession

I also added an entry to /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc:
> george@debianatGB:/etc/X11/xinit$ cat xinitrc
> #!/bin/bash
> # $Xorg: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:30 cpqbld Exp $
> # /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
> #
> # global xinitrc file, used by all X sessions started by xinit (startx)
> # invoke global X session script
> . /etc/X11/Xsession
> # Here's my addition:
> xmonad

I'm using X11 in a debian/lenny installation.  The monitor is a
Samsung Syncmaster 2253BW,
set to its native resolution of 1680x1050.

Alas, so far, when I log into an Xmonad session, all I get is a pretty
pastel blue screen with
my mouse cursor sitting in the middle of it.  Obviously, more
configuration work remains
to be done ...

Thanks !  Not meant sarcastically ... I'll keep on looking into this
while the economy gives
me the time to mess with projects like this.

Best,
George Langford