Walt Mankowski on 12 Mar 2009 13:33:59 -0700

Re: [PLUG] How to make full use of a 1680x1050 monitor in debian

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:39:44AM -0400, Roman Stanchak wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:07 AM, George Langford
> <george@georgesbasement.com> wrote:
> > Now to the point of this posting: How to I open two documents at once,
> > side by side,
> > so I can compare, edit, etc. between the two ?  I know I can do it by
> > resizing the open
> > windows manually, but is there a more elegant way, analogous to using
> > twin monitors ?
>
> Is this along the lines of what you're looking for?
> http://lifehacker.com/5157631/maxto-divides-and-conquers-your-screen-real-estate
>
> The tool in the article is windows only, but the comments might
> provide some useful links.
>
> Also, you don't mention which window manager you're using, but kwin in
> kde4 lets you specify rules about window placement
> (position,size,desktop,etc) in System Settings > Window Behavior >
> Window-Specific

Well, on Linux there's the ratpoison window manager, which lets you do
stuff like this:

http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/shot2.png

But I have to confess I don't really see the problem.  What's so tough
about putting two documents side-by-side manually on your big monitor?

Walt