Roman Stanchak on 12 Mar 2009 07:45:17 -0700

Re: [PLUG] How to make full use of a 1680x1050 monitor in debian

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:07 AM, George Langford
<george@georgesbasement.com> wrote:
> Now to the point of this posting: How to I open two documents at once,
> side by side,
> so I can compare, edit, etc. between the two ?  I know I can do it by
> resizing the open
> windows manually, but is there a more elegant way, analogous to using
> twin monitors ?

Is this along the lines of what you're looking for?
http://lifehacker.com/5157631/maxto-divides-and-conquers-your-screen-real-estate

The tool in the article is windows only, but the comments might
provide some useful links.

Also, you don't mention which window manager you're using, but kwin in
kde4 lets you specify rules about window placement
(position,size,desktop,etc) in System Settings > Window Behavior >
Window-Specific

Best,
Roman