Lee Marzke on 17 Mar 2009 08:23:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Bandwidth Shaping and assorted appliances

Just about everything is included in Endian Firewall. ( Linux open-source + appliance )

Their high end appliance is rated 1.5Gb/s, so I'm sure this could work for you.

- Very nice web admin interface
- 3 zone firewall ( green, dmz, wifi ) traffic shaping, outgoing fw, pinholes
- custom routing
- smtp transparent proxy,  mx filtering, antivirus, spamcop
- web transparent proxy,  web filtering,
- sip proxy
- ftp transparent proxy,  antivirus scanning
- dns transparent proxy,   spyware listening post support
- ntop bandwidth monitor
- dhcp , dns, ntpd, - VPN, both OpenVPN ( client + server ) and Dnssec are supported.
- Munin system and traffic graphs.

Free version:  efw.it
Appliance:      www.endian.com

Vyatta is approaching the same tools set based on a router instead of a firewall but
I haven't used them yet.

Lee Marzke

jeff wrote:
peripherally speaking, I was looking at one of those CIO magazines today.

When I started out, you bought a firewall.
Now you purchase an Internet Appliance.

The firewall can do shaping and antivirus
You purchase a separate box for antivirus and Threats.

Anyway, it seems *everything* is an appliance these days. They start out at a few grand, then balloon upward with per-user licensing fees.

Once again I find myself in the wrong business.

And I keep thinking that the $6k box I just saw can be implemented in a VM under linux for nothing (except a lot of sweat equity and cursing).

Lee Marzke,  lee@marzke.net   http://marzke.net/lee/
IT Consultant, VMware, VCenter, SAN storage, infrastructure, SW CM
+1 800-393-5217  office         +1 484-348-2230               fax
+1 610-564-4932  cell           sip://8003935217@4aero.com    VOIP

begin:vcard
fn:Lee Marzke
n:Marzke;Lee