Michael Bevilacqua on 27 Mar 2009 07:53:31 -0700

[PLUG] IPTables based port authentication

Just wondering if there is anything already written before I go ahead and re-create the wheel. I'm looking for a way to have a user hit a simple Apache authentication page, enter a user/pass which will then open a preset port specified for that user. The application will obtain the IP the user is connecting from though one of the available Apache variables and write the appropriate IPTables rule.

Shorewall doesn't have anything that can do this by default which is sort of a shame. I definitely don't want to use port knocking with Apache rewrites. That's just a security hole.  And I think squid might be too cumbersome for this simple of a task.

Thanks in advance!

--
Michael D. Bevilacqua
michael@bevilacqua.us