Art Alexion on 27 Mar 2009 14:25:52 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Mac Mini/BSD question

On Mar 27, 2009, at 3:36 PM, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

At 2009-03-27 10:22 -0500, Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com> wrote:
It has a 70 GB system partition, and another, seemingly hidden
partition named "`" with some system files on it

That is Not Normal. Quite probably a typo on the prior user's part.
It looks like the sort of thing that someone might have created by
planning to make the argument to tar(1)'s -f the result of a
backticked expression but accidentally escaping the backtick and
then hitting ^C to get out, as that looks like a subset of what
should be under the root partition.

The only guy in our IT department familiar with Macs thought it was a failed attempt to install a Windows partition, but it doesn't look like a windows partition to me. It looks like a partial backup of the / filesystem.

The partition is not viewable in the Finder app.

You should be able to see the partition in Disk Utility (in the
finder hit command-shift-u to open the Utilities folder, Disk Utility
is in there) and see whence it's mounted... if it's not actually
just a directory, which I think it problem is. Does it show up in
df(1) or mount(8) output?

Yes it appears with both df and mount, and in the Disk Utility. It is an HFS partition and reported as healthy.

Any idea what this is and whether I can get rid of it?

I'd need to see mtree(8) output to confirm my suspicion above (that
it was an accidental tar(1) call), but if I'm right, you can safely
remove it.

mtree output attached

Is there anything like parted or gparted included in 10.5.x that I can use to delete this and resize the / partition?