gabriel rosenkoetter on 27 Mar 2009 19:01:21 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Mac Mini/BSD question

At 2009-03-27 17:25 -0400, Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com> wrote:
> The only guy in our IT department familiar with Macs thought it was a
> failed attempt to install a Windows partition, but it doesn't look
> like a windows partition to me.

He's definitely wrong.

> It looks like a partial backup of  the / filesystem.
[...]
> mtree output attached

Yeah, that's definitely an aborted backup attempt. Nuke it.

> Yes it appears with both df and mount, and in the Disk Utility.  It is
> an HFS partition and reported as healthy.

Is it actually a separate partition disk slice or is it a mounted
disk image?

In either case, go reclaim the space, because it's not doing *you*
any good, and removing it will definitely not break anything. Also,
run software update (it's in the Apple menu) immediately.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net