bergman on 31 Mar 2009 16:37:07 -0700

Re: [PLUG] free kittens! (actually, SGI Octanes & monitor)

In the message dated: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 19:23:32 EDT,
The pithy ruminations from Chad Waters on
<Re: [PLUG] free kittens! (actually, SGI Octanes & monitor)> were:
=> > One machine is eligible for a transfer of the Irix license, and an OS will be
=> > provided if desired.
=>
=> I thought Irix was EOL for 1 or 2 years?

Sort of...they're no longer shipping Irix, and we're talking about Irix 6.5.22
(c. 2003), with no support, no additional access to patches, etc. That doesn't
stop SGI from being complete f*kwits about licensing.

They've got really terrible rules about license transfers. We cannot legally
transfer the license from some of the machines we own. For other boxes, we can
transfer the license with prior written permission from SGI and the transferee
agreeing in writing to SGI's terms & conditions. For other machines, we can
give away the OS without any paperwork at all!

If you wanted to be legal, you can still purchase an Irix license (~$3K).

Or you can run Linux on some old, but formerly really spiffy, hardware.

Mark