Lee Marzke on 9 Apr 2009 07:14:01 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Thin client/terminal suggestions

The term Thin clients is misused a lot.

Thin clients where originally Diskless clients,  but now many of them run
not only an OS locally, but a complete OS like Windows LE. A diskless client is just a dumb terminal, so the Kenel version on the client doesn't matter much however nComputing seems to be also doing some kind of virtualization on the server side. I don't know why you would need this with Linux servers or Windows Server 2003 with remote terminal
server licenses. Maybe it was trying to share a Windows PC ( not a server )

Ubuntu now has a quick LTSP install option, which supports man yLTSP or PXE boot devices
and they list them at  http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/Clients

The Ubuntu solution fixes some of the security issues with Running LTSP over X ( I think they now tunnel
it over SSH to the client )

For a commercial solution, there is NoMachine, which has better support for slow links and probably better support for locally attached printers, sound, etc. and likely more management
and security options.

>I don't want to run 7.10, and the windows apps may not be multi-user.
>The latter can't be predicted and may, at the government's whim, change.

Again, if your using LTSP / NX server the client solution is just a terminal, so your APP servers can be anything
as they just attach to any server using X or RDP

For windows, running multiple apps inside Win2003/8 server with terminal services would be no different than running several physical Windows boxes, so even if your application uses a database it would have to support multiple instances to work on multiple computers across the network, and running in Win2003 server should be
no different.

So my suggestion is to run away from unconventional solutions like nComputing, and use a standard 'thin client' solution which should work with almost any application. But you will need ( a LTSP/NX server, Ubuntu App server, and Win2003 server ) and any LTSP or PXE client boxes that you choose. Just check support for locally attached devices, and avoid any multimedia apps, and make sure you have a good 100MB or pref 1GB network and switch.

There is also VMware VDI ( Virtual Desktop ) solution which builds upon a VMware VI/3 ESX / SAN architecture,
giving each user a custom Virtual Machine.

http://www.msterminalservices.org/articles/Virtual-Desktop-Infrastructure-Overview.html

This is likely way over your budget for a not-profit.

Lee

Art Alexion wrote:
I work for the umbrella organization for a number of small to medium non-profits. One, for which I am responsible, needs to replace about a dozen very old computers with a minimal budget.

A colleague has used nComputing terminals to save costs, and make remote administration easier. nComputing supports XP, win server 2003 and Ubuntu.

I'd really like to move them to Ubuntu, but I have some concerns.

* kernel support is stalled at Ubuntu 7.10. This release is no longer supported by Ubuntu. Kernel updates seem to break nComputing.

* this is a mental health center. Funding sources are moving away from funding patients, and toward funding specifically provided services. Sometimes this involves the county providing the providing the program with custom software to track the particular services. Inevitably, this is windows software.

My idea is to set up two servers, an Ubuntu server to provide the desktops, and a windows server to run any required windows apps. That presents two other problems, though.

I don't want to run 7.10, and the windows apps may not be multi-user. The latter can't be predicted and may, at the government's whim, change.

I'll apreciate any thoughts on other linux friendly alternatives to nComputing.

--

Art Alexion
Sent unsigned from an iPod. That's the reason for the top posting as well.

Lee Marzke,  lee@marzke.net   http://marzke.net/lee/
IT Consultant, VMware, VCenter, SAN storage, infrastructure, SW CM
+1 800-393-5217  office         +1 484-348-2230               fax
+1 610-564-4932  cell           sip://8003935217@4aero.com    VOIP

begin:vcard
fn:Lee Marzke
n:Marzke;Lee