Art Alexion on 22 Apr 2009 17:04:01 -0700

Re: [PLUG] It's happening. Mac Viruses

On Apr 22, 2009, at 5:57 PM, Robert Spangler wrote:

> On Wednesday 22 April 2009 17:45, Edmond Rodriguez wrote:
>
>> It's happening, I wonder what this means for Linux?
>>

>> http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/04/22/first.mac.botnet/index.html
>
> What has always amazed me is how fast these virus detection
> companies have a
> fix before the virus can do any damage or sometimes before it's
> execution
> date.  Sometime I wonder if it isn't them deploying the viruses to
> keep
> themselves in business.
>
> As to Linux I am sure there are possibilities but they are patched
> and thus
> the virus companies wouldn't make any money off of them.

Yeah, they used to market a Palm OS av product even there were no
known "in the wild viruses". Nobody bought the product.  Nobody got
infected.  It disappeared.

One of the problems with windows that make it vulnerable is that MS
creates these security back doors for its products that the virus
writers exploit.  For example, Outlook can write to directories that
the user executing outlook has no permissions to write to.

AFAIK, the Linux model is that programs that user A executes can't do
anything that user A couldn't have done.