Art Alexion on 27 Apr 2009 10:20:06 -0700

Re: [PLUG] authentication errors

On Monday 27 April 2009 11:05:03 am sean finney wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:06:59AM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> > I remember a similar problem with a corrupted /dev/null and another time
> > when some update screwed up the host name resolution, but /dev/null looks
> > OK, and this time I just get the word, error, not "Host name not found"
> >
> > This doesn't seem to be preventing me from doing anything, but it is an
> > annoyance.  Any ideas.
>
> one quick idea from the hip: compare the contents of /etc/pam.d to a
> known-good system, to see if the pam configuration is any different?

That refreshed my memory.  On the two affected machines, I tried to join them
to a windows domain with likewise-open.  Though the computers were joined, I
was never able to log in with my AD UID.  I am guessing that the error is
somehow being generated when it tries to pass the login on to the AD domain
controller.  I'll dig deeper.

On Monday 27 April 2009 12:20:18 pm Eric wrote:
> Are there any relevant entries in the /var/log/messages or
> ~/.xsession-errors files?

Nothing interesting on either.