Stephen Gran on 29 Apr 2009 13:38:21 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Creating a large, multiple device read-only file system

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 04:07:04PM -0400, K.S. Bhaskar said:
> I realize that I can create a medium size read only file system on a DVD.
> Performance is not a concern because the OS buffer cache will keep
> frequently used bits in memory.  But what if I want to create a truly giant
> file system.  Can I take 20 5GB DVDs and create a multiple device / logical
> volume that gives me a 100GB read-only file system?  Any pointers are
> appreciated.  Thank you very much, in advance.

If you want something that's hardware read only and large, it probably
is simplest to get a drive that you can jumper to read only.  I don't
know if anything other than SCSI supports this, though.

Cheers,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Double *sigh*.  _04 is going onto       |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | thousands of CDs even as we speak, so   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | to speak.   -- Larry Wall in            |
|                                | <199710221718.KAA24299@wall.org>        |