JP Vossen on 30 Apr 2009 12:24:45 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Creating a large, multiple device read-only file system

> Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 16:07:04 -0400
> From: "K.S. Bhaskar" <bhaskar@bhaskars.com>
>
> I realize that I can create a medium size read only file system on a DVD.
> Performance is not a concern because the OS buffer cache will keep
> frequently used bits in memory.  But what if I want to create a truly giant
> file system.  Can I take 20 5GB DVDs and create a multiple device / logical
> volume that gives me a 100GB read-only file system?  Any pointers are
> appreciated.  Thank you very much, in advance.

OK, maybe I am missing a point, but why can't you just create a
{whatever} device, then mount it read-only?

Do you not have control over the client side?

How about creating a giant ISO fs file that can be mounted via loop-back?

How about marking everything on the volume immutable?

If possible, I like the hardware read-only switch (I see that on SD
cards too).  But that prevents someone from flicking it back to write?

Maybe moot, since it looks like you are going with a bunch-o-cheap-drives...
JP