Lee Marzke on 4 May 2009 16:33:48 -0700

Re: [PLUG] find the user with the most files

Why not have the users fix it themselves ?

Most companies I've worked at have electronic network usage policy cover
non-business files on the network.
(ie,  keep your MP3 files on your local PC, and not on expensive network
storage )

How about just emailing everyone your script to help them find
their own problem files and give them a week to clean up the junk.

With the notice that "To contain costs of network storage and backup costs
that any non-business files are not permitted on network servers.  Please
remove any non-business files immediately.    Any non-business files found
after Date will be subject to deletion and/or user disciplinary action... "

The problem will fix itself rather quickly, and hopefully educate these users
on what is appropriate or not on the network.

Writing a script is a technical solution that won't educate anyone except the
worst violators that you go after.

Other then writing a script,   For your own user you might try
baobib ( from gnome-utils )   a graphical disk usage client.

I've found some users can store 100 to 1000 times more info than others
users. Some of them checked in entire source code trees ( with build results ) dozens of times because they didn't know how to branch code in the repository or were just lazy. In this case this is business-related content - but they are misusing
the system by storing several GB when a branch would only take KB.

Lee

Michael Lazin wrote:
Hi, I'm in a directory containing directories that belong to different users and we are trying to get users to reduce their disk use to make our backup servers run better.
I tried

find . | egrep -i "\.(zip|mkv|mp3|avi|rar|exe|iso|wma|wmv|mpg|mpeg|nfo|r[0-9]+)$"|less

In this directory and noticed a lot of these users have warez, but we don't have the time or the manpower to go after every user that has warez. What I want to do is find every directory of a certain name and output the size of that directory to see who the biggest culprits are. Any suggestions? Thanks.
--
Michael Lazin

ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
against HTML e-mail    X
                                 / \

"Between subtle shading and the absence of light lies the nuance of iqlusion..."  - Kryptos

Lee Marzke,  lee@marzke.net   http://marzke.net/lee/
IT Consultant, VMware, VCenter, SAN storage, infrastructure, SW CM
+1 800-393-5217  office         +1 484-348-2230               fax
+1 610-564-4932  cell           sip://8003935217@4aero.com    VOIP

begin:vcard
fn:Lee Marzke
n:Marzke;Lee