JP Vossen on 7 May 2009 23:04:23 -0700

[PLUG] Great book reviews

I don't know why I've never thought to mention this before, but I
encourage everyone to check out Elizabeth Zwicky et al.'s book reviews
at http://www.usenix.org/publications/login/books.html every other
month.  I'm a little hazy on why the current ones are in PDF without a
quick index anyplace (like the older reviews), but I have learned that
it is WELL worth the extra step or two to deal with the PDF.

For example,
http://www.usenix.org/publications/login/2009-04/openpdfs/bookreviews0904.pdf
is 6 pages and reviews:

Design Patterns Explained: A New Perspective On Object-Oriented Design
by Alan Shalloway and James R. Trott

Beyond Barbie & Mortal Kombat: New Perspectives On Gender And Gaming
by Yasmin B. Kafai, Carrie Heeter, Jill Denner, and Jennifer Y. Sun

Processing: A Programming Handbook For Visual Designers And Artists
by Casey Reas and Ben Fry

David Pogue’S Digital Photography: The Missing Manual
by David Pogue

Learning Nagios 3.0
by Wojciech Kocjan

Web 2.0: A Strategy Guide
by Amy Shuen

Real World Haskell
by Bryan O’Sullivan, John Goerzen, and Don Stewart

Algorithms In A Nutshell
by George T. Heineman, Gary Pollice, and Stanley Selkow

OS/X Exploits And Defense
by Kevin Finisterre, Larry H., David Harley, and Gary Porteous

Later,
JP