Casey Bralla on 8 May 2009 17:06:50 -0700

[PLUG] Is Any UPS Any Good?

During the last thunderstorm, my power went out for about 3 minutes.
naturally, 2 of my UPSs failed to hold on and then was totally dead
afterwards.

I have been underwhelmed by the reliability of the UPSs I have bought.  After
investigation, I find the batteries themselves usually still have a charge, but
the charging circuitry is fried.

Most power outages last just a few seconds.  I don't care about monitors and
such, so I have only the main CPU box plugged in to these puppies.   I had
thought this meant that I could buy low cost, low capacity units.   Maybe I
was wrong.

Are any of them any good?
--

Casey Bralla