Russ Nelson on 11 May 2009 05:56:23 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OpenStreetMap mapping party next weekend (5/16-17)

On May 10, 2009, at 4:59 PM, Glenn Kelley wrote:

> as a medic I have seen where police literally will walk up to a car
> from an accident - plug into it and then afterwards say
> We have all the information needed but if you would like to give a
> statement you may
>
> interesting - but cars already have a black box apparently

Sort-of.  Some car computers keep track of recent information, but not
all -- not all by a long shot.  The plug is called "OBD-II".  You can
pick up a cheap one which converts to USB for about $40.  The
protocols for talking to it are well-defined and there is open source
code for talking to the computer.  Yes, you can reset a Check Engine
light using it.

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson
russ@cloudmade.com - Twitter: Russ_OSM - http://openstreetmap.org/user/RussNelson