David A. Harding on 28 May 2009 20:06:24 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Restore proper profile permissions

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 05:52:19PM -0400, JP Vossen wrote:
> [code]
>
> I have tested the above a bit, but NOT tried it on a real user dir, so
> make a copy first.

For a quick and non-destructive comparison of the permission
differences between two home directories, the following code may be
more useful:

    find foo bar 				\
	| xargs stat --printf="%n %A\\n" 	\
	| sed 's/\(foo\|bar\)//' 		\
	| sort 					\
	| uniq -u

Output should look similar to the following:

    /1 -rw-r--r--
    /1 -rwxr-xr-x
    [Files and directories with the same names and permissions not shown]

If there are only a few differences between the two directory trees, you
may want to use this output to make the changes manually.  For a lot of
changes, I suggest J.P.'s code with the warnings he made.

Good luck,

-Dave
--
David A. Harding	    Website:  http://dtrt.org/