Michael Bevilacqua on 9 Jun 2009 16:50:44 -0700

Re: [PLUG] [Slightly OT] UPS recommendations

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Will Dyson <will.dyson@gmail.com> wrote:
While the online interactive type is nice for expensive and delicate
equipment, it is mostly wasted on a computer's PSU. The PSU has its
own internal capacitors that can ride out the standby's switch to
battery power. It also tolerates under and over-voltage pretty darn
well.

Hey Will,

I completely agree with this. And a most excellent review of the internals of UPS workings. However, this is a perfect voltage spike/brown-out scenario (short and sweet).  In my experiences, when a driver on his cellphone is changing his radio station and drinking his coffee suddenly hits a pole and knocks out a transformer (they don't tend to die gracefully), there is going to be a few seconds to a minute of struggle on the PSU's end if the standby UPS can't keep up with the ups and downs. I've found over the years that a Smart-UPS can detect this and give that computer what it needs to survive this otherwise stressful situation.

And when you are talking about two high draw appliances like monitors (21" CRTs?),  both appliances are in for quite a stressful ride. And we all know monitors are delicate.

--
Michael D. Bevilacqua
michael@bevilacqua.us