Fred Stluka on 10 Jun 2009 13:57:02 -0700

Re: [PLUG] tcsh, csh, ksh, zsh not pre-installed in Fedora?...

JP,
> First question, why FC8?  FC11 just came out, why go old?  Second, why
> FC, which is arguably a beta, and has a demonstrably short life-span?
> I'd never use FC (which is actually called just F now) on a server.
>
> Personally, I love Debian on the server and Ubuntu on the desktop.  But
> I have to deal with RHEL at work, so I use CentOS (free RHEL rebuild) on
> servers too.
>
> Based on your FC use I'd recommend using CentOS5.  I was going to say
> you can't go wrong with Debian, but depending on what you want to do,
> maybe you can.  Some vendors only provide RPMs of things, though I just
> noticed that Oracle 10G Express comes in .deb too.  Cool.  (Well, except
> that I loath Oracle with a passion.)

I'm trying to get a quick start at using Amazon EC2.  I may go back
later for a more detailed approach.  The smallish list of predefined
Amazon-supplied EC2 AMIs (Amazon Machine Images) includes one called
"Java Web Starter" that has:
  - Fedora Core 8
  - Java JDK 7 (1.7.0)
  - Tomcat 5.5.27
  - Apache 2.2.9
  - MySQL 5.0.45
That's a good start for me, relatively recent versions of a bunch of
stuff I want, already installed and configured.  Too tempting...

> And what do you want csh/tcsh for?
> http://www.google.com/search?q=csh+considered+harmful
> <ducks>

Yeah, tcsh is pretty old, but I've been using it a long time and it
suits my needs pretty well.
>  > In any case, any advice on installing tcsh on Fedora?  Where do I
>  > get the RPM package?  I've used RPM before to install packages,
>  > to check which packages are installed, to check which package
>  > had previously installed a specific file, etc.  But, how can I
>  > find out what packages are on the server, not yet installed?
>  > Is there a convention?  Or a query I can do?  Or do I just have
>  > to go to some external repository to see what's available?
>
> You are going to want to read http://www.jpsdomain.org/linux/apt.html
> which will give you a taste of what APT and RPM can do.  It will also
> answer the above question for you (hint: "Find packages that you can
> install").
>

> As you probably know, the major difference between Debian and Red Hat is
> the packager, APT (Advanced Package Tool) for Debian and derivatives and
> RPM (Red Hat Package Manager) for RH and children.  IMO APT is superior,
> though RPM+YUM is a reasonable second place.  The "minor" difference is
> where files are located and how things are controlled...  Sigh...
>
> RPM without YUM (Yellow Dog (Linux) Updater, Modified) is pretty ugly,
> yum is more-or-less mandatory.  Fortunately, it's built in to any decent
> RPM-based distro newer than 5-6 years old.
> http://www.google.com/search?q="RPM+dependency+hell"; for the gory details.

OK.  yum install tcsh worked pretty well.

Thanks!

--Fred
Fred Stluka -- mailto:fred@bristle.com -- http://bristle.com/~fred/
Bristle Software, Inc -- http://bristle.com -- Glad to be of service!