David A. Harding on 10 Jun 2009 14:10:40 -0700

Re: [PLUG] tcsh, csh, ksh, zsh not pre-installed in Fedora?...

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 03:48:20PM -0400, JP Vossen wrote:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=csh+considered+harmful

    9,200 Results

http://www.google.com/search?q=bash+considered+harmful

    44,100 Results

:-)

(Although I agree that scripting csh/tcsh is unwise.)

> the major difference between Debian and Red Hat is the packager, APT
> (Advanced Package Tool) for Debian and derivatives and RPM (Red Hat
> Package Manager) for RH and children.

To be fair, APT is to YUM what DPKG is RPM.  Comparing APT to RPM is as
unfair as comparing YUM to DPKG.  (My goodness, that's a lot of
abbreviations.)

Also, how come Debian gets derivatives and Red Hat gets children?

> IMO APT is superior,

YUM was written after APT became popular, so it includes what it's
developers thought were interface improvements. For example, it includes
in a single program, yum, functions that are separated into two APT
programs, apt-get and apt-cache. I think these interface improvements
make YUM easier to use for newbies but make no significant difference to
advanced users.

Note: I'm not advocating one distribution over the other.

-Dave
--
David A. Harding	    Website:  http://dtrt.org/
1 (609) 997-0765	      Email:  dave@dtrt.org