Alan D. Salewski on 22 Jun 2009 14:47:28 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Oops, quickly over my head with Ubuntu package management

Chaz is certainly correct, but you can query for that info in a more
direct way:

    $ type -a sha256sum
    sha256sum is /usr/bin/sha256sum
    sha256sum is /usr/bin/X11/sha256sum

    $ dpkg -S /usr/bin/sha256sum
    coreutils: /usr/bin/sha256sum

Once you know the full path to the file you're interested in, the
'dpkg -S <PATH>' command will tell you which package owns the file.

With this approach, you do not need to know (or have a hunch) which
package the file is from.

HTH,
-Al

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 05:36:57PM -0400, Chaz Meyers spake thus:

--
a l a n   d.   s a l e w s k i             salewski@worldnet.att.net