Richard Freeman on 29 Jun 2009 19:18:00 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Find Open Ports

> Casey Bralla wrote:
>> My employer is very aggressive in closing off ports.  This makes it hard for me
>> to access my home network from work.  Luckily, port 23 is open so I can ssh
>> in, and of course, port 80 is left alone.

If you can connect with ssh then port-forwarding is probably your best
bet.  Just forward lots of ports across and you can do whatever you want.

Another trick when using programs that don't like non-standard ports -
have them listen on 127.0.0.2 or another loopback IP (the loopback
network is a class A network).  Many (most?) ssh clients will forward
ports from one of these IPs - so you can use ports that would otherwise
be in use by your own OS (like SMB/etc).