LeRoy on 1 Jul 2009 05:36:55 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Source-Based Distribution Recommendation

Michael Bevilacqua wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Jonathan E. Magen <yonkeltron@gmail.com
> <mailto:yonkeltron@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Debian's default settings are wonderful and my machines (server,
>     desktop, laptop and mobile device) rarely suffer from performance
>     issues which could be attributed to poor optimization during compile
>     time. Furthermore, Debian's apt-build tool has matured quite nicely
>     and allows you to compile any package, on demand, with any
>     optimizations you might desire. It downloads the source deb,
>     compiles it and builds a binary deb which you can then
>     install/upgrade as you like.
>

> I agree that more than 90% of the time, Debian fits the bill for the
> desired server application. And Ubuntu for the desired desktop. It's
> that other 5-10% where knowing Gentoo is truly useful. Bleeding edge
> hardware falls into this category. Embedded hardware as well. And as
> Richard mentioned, the ability to have choice in your base dist when
> your development application requires it.
>
> Sure, you can trim down Debian/Ubuntu. You can even wait for
> Debian/Ubuntu to come around to support the new chips. Or you can
> quickly roll your own custom system from the ground up. In my
> experiences, rolling your own custom system with Debian/Ubuntu breaks
> the defaults along the way and doesn't take advantage of Debian/Ubuntu's
> primary strength; APT.  Also, rolling your own Deb/Ubu system takes
> installing even more packages than is already necessary for the base
> dist itself, creating even more unnecessary time and space restraints on
> your overall project goals.
>
> Being able to use Debian and Ubuntu is great when and where you can. But
> when you can't, I have yet to find a better alternative solution than
> Gentoo. At least, in my experiences.

I totally agree with all of the above, but there are times that just
compiling a custom kernel on a Debian system is enough to make your
system's hardware work.  For instance when I bought this laptop last
year there was no support for the wireless Internet.  Linux kernel
2.6.27 contained the patch for the  Network controller: Atheros
Communications Inc.  Compiling the ath9k module into the kernel with the
Debian package "kernel-package" and the command make-kpkg which builds a
.deb file like linux-image-2.6.27.5-03-686_03.custom_i386.deb

For a firewall or some other single application device I would first
attempt to use Debian base install before going the Gentoo route.  Also
I would compile a custom kernel without module support with just support
for the hardware in the device.

- --
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037        > ^ <
		       Cell:   267-307-3527

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/