zuzu on 11 Jul 2009 09:43:37 -0700

Re: [PLUG] New Macbooks

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Brian Vagnoni<bvagnoni@v-system.net> wrote:

> I'm use to Dell notebooks and being able to rip them apart and pretty much replace/upgrade any component I want, myself. The idea of not being able to change out a battery myself is a little spooky. I'm pretty hard on most batteries despite the fact I try and plug in where ever I go. I wonder how the I-Phone batteries are holding up, also not removable? I'm on my third Dell E1705 battery, and I'm going to order another one for my HP tx2500z. Purchasing direct from Dell and HP that's about $500 all told just for batteries. All for notebooks that aren't 3 years old yet. I thought about doing one of those universal brick/slab type batteries but again don't know all that much about them. The universals are also very expensive.

but how often do you need to swap batteries on-the-go?  that's the
only salient issue here.

> Apple's are a significant financial investment when compared with many devices these days. I hope the hype matches the reality. I imagine if it can be replaced in say Best Buy by a "mac genius", that I could do it at home myself provided I could get the part and not void my warranty(as much fun as that is) in the process.

1.a) I can't think of any good reason to ever set foot in a Best Buy.
b) there are Apple Stores for "Mac Geniuses"

but yeah, you can do it yourself at home.
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Browse/Mac

I've replaced the battery in my 4G iPod.  I've replaced the hard
drives, optical drives, and even more esoteric parts such as the DC-in
board, in countess Powerbooks and MacBook / Pros.  as long as you have
the guide from iFixIt, it's easy.  (well, except the old iBooks and
12" Powerbook, those were kind of a pain... so many screws of
different sizes!)

just pick up a set of precision screwdrivers and torx T6 and T8 at
Sears if you don't have them already.

> I do like the like that idea from a environmental stand point of battery disposal at a central location, e.g. the point of repair. I wonder if companies like Best Buy or Micro Center actually dispose of them properly or just throw them out in the daily garbage like most.

does Micro Center still exist?  I think I went there once to get a
Sound Blaster 16 card for my old 486 desktop.