Andrew Libby on 17 Jul 2009 13:31:42 -0700

Re: [PLUG] favorite admin tools

Claude M. Schrader wrote:
> 2) telnet {ip} {portnumber}
> I couldn't begin to count the number of times I have had to telnet to port
> 80, 25, or 143 to troubleshoot an overbearing firewall, misconfigured
> service, or norton/macafee security suite type app. Eventually you will
> know the SMTP protocol well enough to send an email by manually echoing
> the commands into telnet.

I'd also like to add to this openssn s_client.   It's a
great alternative to telnet when dealing with SSL services.
 I use it all the time to test connectivity to, and to
interact with things like POP/ IMAP servers that are SSL.

Something like:

openssl s_client -connect www.yourhost.com:443

It'll tell you info about the certificate, and leave you at
an open connection you can type commands into.