Brian Stempin on 21 Jul 2009 10:17:58 -0700

Re: [PLUG] snmp/mibs

Hi Ron,

I once gave a PLUG talk on Nagios (you can find the slides somwhere in here).  I used to turn to Nagios to do up-time monitoring with some use for processor/memory usage monitoring.  My thoughts are that Nagois is great for finding network outages, but not so great for capturing performance metrics.  Nagios is able to use SNMP, but the plug-in doesn't really fix the paradigms of the Nagios too well.

I've used Zenoss in the past for monitoring networks that used SNMP.  I have to say that Zenoss was pretty sweet software -- it came with a lot of MIBs and with an easy way to import more MIBs.  Zenoss was great for monitoring Windows networks via the Windows SNMP agent.  I, however, have never used SNMP on a *nux system before.

Hope this tidbit helps,
Brian