Casey Bralla on 30 Jul 2009 17:29:15 -0700

[PLUG] OT: If I can Record a TV Program off-the-air, Can I record a Streaming Internet Radio Program?

I ask this question from 2 vantage points:  1) Legal; and 2) Moral

The supreme court has famously ruled that it is perfectly legal to record TV
and radio broadcast off the air (and I presume, off cable).  This strikes me as
being both legally sound, and morally defensible.   I pay for cable service
and am forced to watch commercials as payment for the pleasure of listening to
and recording the shows.

But how about for a streaming music service that states in their accompanying
documentation that it is not legal to record the stream (due to licensing
issues), even though you pay for the privilege of listening to the stream?

I don't know the law in this case, but it strikes me as morally acceptable to
record the stream, especially as I will pay for the stream listening rights.
Further, the situation seems so analogous to over-the-air recording as to be
silly to even differentiate it.

But, I frankly don't feel entirely comfortable with this position and would
welcome the opinions of other rampant moralizers.

BTW, I don't feel any strong moral obligation to comply with an immoral or
unjust law, although I do tend to minimize the likelihood that something bad
will happen to me if I do so.  Or in other words, I'm all for Civil
Disobedience, but I'm a coward and don't want to spend the night in j
--

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence

http://www.NerdWorld.org