sean finney on 6 Aug 2009 09:57:20 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OT: Making international calls

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 06:57:06AM -0400, Mag Gam wrote:
> I was wondering, what is the most economical way to make international
> calls? I have several friends in Asia and I would like to keep in
> touch with them but I am not sure what is the best way to do this.

while computer-to-computer calls are obviously the cheapest (i.e. free),
i've found that i can often beat the rates of the net->POTS services
with a calling card.  when i used to do the whole long distance
relationship thing i'd usually get something from the offerings at
http://www.callingcards.com/ (nice search interface), which was usually
just a bit better than what something like SkypeOut offered.

one thing to keep in mind with cards though: some of them have a lower
rate but a pretty steep connection fee.  so you should probably make an
estimate of how long the average phone call would be and include that
factor when comparing different cards against other services.

	sean