JP Vossen on 7 Aug 2009 00:16:52 -0700

[PLUG] MythTV digital --> analog?

One of our TVs died in the big storms last week, so we replaced it.
Obviously the new one is digital, so now that TV gets a bunch more
channels, *even though* we have Comcast super-basic-el-cheapo cable.  If
I hook up an HD Homerun, I can record this stuff, since I have no
Comcast set-top box and the TV works (ClearQAM stuff, I assume). Some of
the "new" channels might be handy, but I'm not about to replace the
other analog sets, analog tuner card, and analog Media MVP/mvpmc units.

So, anyone have a clue to get MythTV to record in digital/HD/ClearQAM
and then post-process and downgrade it to analog MPEG2 so I can watch it
elsewhere?

Related but otherwise OT, any clues on a super-cheap converter box for 1
other TV?  According to the dtv2009.gov site the coupon deadline was
last month.  Doh.  I didn't even think about this, since I'm not using
OTA.  I think Comcast said something about getting one, but it was only
"free" for a year and after that there was a monthly charge.  This is a
nice-to-have-when-people-want-to-watch-sports-in-the-basement, which
happens less than once a month, if that, so I don't want to pay much at
all, or anything extra to Comcast.

Thanks,
JP