Matt Mossholder on 7 Aug 2009 04:29:40 -0700

Re: [PLUG] MythTV digital --> analog?

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 3:16 AM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
So, anyone have a clue to get MythTV to record in digital/HD/ClearQAM
and then post-process and downgrade it to analog MPEG2 so I can watch it
elsewhere?

Related but otherwise OT, any clues on a super-cheap converter box for 1
other TV?  According to the dtv2009.gov site the coupon deadline was
last month.  Doh.  I didn't even think about this, since I'm not using
OTA.  I think Comcast said something about getting one, but it was only
"free" for a year and after that there was a monthly charge.  This is a
nice-to-have-when-people-want-to-watch-sports-in-the-basement, which
happens less than once a month, if that, so I don't want to pay much at
all, or anything extra to Comcast.

Thanks,
JP

For shows that come down from Comcast in 480i, you don't need to do anything. They should just "work". For shows at higher rates/sizes, they should work as long as they are displaying from a computer, rather than something like a MediaMVP. If they ARE connected to a MediaMVP, you can use MythTV's post-processing function to run an external program to do the conversion (mplayer/mencoder, xine,vlc,  mythtranscode, etc.)

On the Converter Box front, all you need to do is go to your local comcast office and ask for one. The are  NOT the same thing as the OTA ones, and they are free. You'll want to look into a program called sctescan, which can pick out all the channel information for the clear QAM channels off the wire. It makes life a LOT simpler.