Ron Kaye Jr on 10 Aug 2009 10:12:42 -0700

Re: [PLUG] ssl digi certs

apache, ssh2

must be a certicate server somewhere where you configure URLs

Ron Kaye Jr
914-7294734

On Aug 10, 2009, zamoose@gmail.com wrote:

On Aug 10, 2009 10:13am, Ron Kaye Jr <rekaye1005@verizon.net> wrote:

> looking for a quick get up to speed resource on ssl/digital certificates in the linux world.

For use in Apache? Or...?

OpenSSL is your single best friend for SSL. A quick Googling of "apache self-signed certificate" will head you in the right direction. (Here's a decent, recent example: http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/07/linux-apache-mod-ssl-generate-key-csr-crt-file/).

> suggestions from this group have always been uniformly excellent
>

> also, perhaps an intermediate tome on firewall design/install.

Do you mean software firewalling? The most widely-used FW on Linux is iptables. It's fairly straightforward to learn, particularly as a successor to ipchains.

However, I'd recommend using FWBuilder (http://www.fwbuilder.org/) as a starting point. Use the GUI to implement your rulesets, compile them, then view the resultant rule sets to see how your desires get implemented.

-Doug
http://literalbarrage.org/blog/