Christine Barbieri on 10 Aug 2009 12:03:04 -0700

[PLUG] WANTED: Senior Systems Engineer

Invite Media is a VC-backed startup in the online display advertising space. We have built a cross-exchange buying platform for media buyers and are in process of significantly scaling our operations...

We are looking for a Senior Systems Engineer to join our tight-knit team of highly motivated and energetic individuals in our center city office. We need someone to manage and build solutions around our quickly growing cloud-based infrastructure. This individual should have experience taking care of large systems and has experienced some bad burns from a production system.

Responsibilities:

  • Continue to build upon our automated deployment system
  • Maintain a stable production and staging cluster
  • Assist the engineering and QA teams in allocating virtual machines for their needs
  • Work with the engineering and QA teams to formulate release plans during each sprint
  • Keeping Bid Manager up and running 24/7. Lead first line of defense, on-call. Note that there will be a group of engineers who will be following your lead on rotation. This is not a one person operation!
  • Improving security of the entire system.
  • Takes ownership and responsibility for the system's status
  • Being that our system is young, there are many opportunities to design critical services

Requirements:

  • 5-10 years experience administering Linux systems
  • Has implemented tools and built scripts around automated deployment
  • Fast learner
  • Takes copious notes and documents problems and solutions.
  • Experience managing a multi-stage release over dozens of machines
  • Experience with shell scripting
  • Experience setting up and using Zenoss, Nagios, or ganglia
  • Patient
  • Willing to ask questions

Pluses:

  • Experience with Cfengine, puppet, chef, VMWare, Xen, Kickstart, HALinux, ipspec, openssl, nginx, J2EE, Postgres, MySQL, LDAP, HAProxy
  • Experience with networking (Catalyst, BigIP, F5)
  • Experience with Amazon EC2
  • Tweaking the kernel for performance
  • Experience in the ad serving industry

--Christine Barbieri