Matt Mossholder on 15 Aug 2009 15:58:11 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Recommendations for linux-friendly scanner?

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 4:15 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
Really?  Official vendor support or unofficial community support?

I didn't find any official Linux support from HP when I was looking last
fall, that's why I went with Brother.  Prior to that I've been an HP
guy, and have used a LaserJet 4 (which is a tank and went back into
service while the Brother was down) and various Inkjets (no comment).
But all of that was unofficial community support.  There is admittedly a
ton of that and it's usually pretty good, but in this case I wanted it
to be officially vendor supported and to Just Work.

The Brother MFC-9840CDW I previously mentioned can scan directly to
X-Sane over Ethernet (or built-in wireless), or to SMB/CIFS, FTP, or
email and maybe other stuff I'm forgetting, since I only use it direct
over Ethernet.

Later,
JP

You didn't look too close, then...  HP has been providing Linux printer/scanner drivers for Linux for a long, long time.

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

Maybe it was the fact that they actually participate in the community, and get all the drivers shipped with the distros that threw you! :D

   --Matt