Ron Kaye Jr on 21 Aug 2009 12:07:14 -0700

[PLUG] GIT is client driven- win git gui to linux host

this is a MAJOR dev proj with A/THE? major content provider.
the development product ends up on a linux box, where GIT is running.

i have created a GIT repository on RHEL5 from the command lin

but developers will be using the tool
at the desktop, they may typically have win xp machines.

need a win git client to connect to my repository.
traveling these paths ...

    1) cygwin with git plugin- not gui
    2) install eclipse and git plugin
    3) msygit
    4) git-gui on the server

i am guessing mixing repositories created from command line and from some gui wont "comingle"

Ron Kaye Jr
914-7294734

Aug 21, 2009 02:26:37 PM, plug@lists.phillylinux.org wrote:
On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 02:21:04PM -0400, Lee Marzke wrote:
> You mention Linux boxes (servers), but your developers on all on Windows ?
>
> Can you explain what your need Git for ? Are you developing
> Linux code or Windows code ?
>
> If you have to use Windows, why not use a SCM that has a native Windows
> client ?
>
> Many systems have been covered recently at PLUG. Git was designed
> strictly, in my opinion for Linux kernel development, on Linux
> only-platforms. It was not designed for cross-platform support, so
> why are you trying to force this solution to work in your
> environment ?

Well, to be more specific, for *nix systems. I use it all the time on
OSX and it works great. However, Windows support looks like it still
might be a little iffy.

Also, while it was originally designed by Linus for kernel
development, it has evolved into a popular VCS that's used for a large
number of open source projects (e.g. perl development recently
switched to git) as well as some development shops.

Walt