JP Vossen on 2 Sep 2009 18:11:05 -0700

Re: [PLUG] File System Directory Limits

> Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 16:17:37 -0400
> From: Tim Allen <flipper@peregrinesalon.com>
>
> We're trying to replicate what the SEC does (don't ask).
> Unfortunately, this somehow involved creating upwards of 100,000
> subdirectories in a root directory.

Which "SEC?"

I kind of doubt they are doing this on ZFS, so...  How *are they* doing
it.  If you know what they are doing do you know someone you can ask?
What "root" dir on what file system on what OS on what hardware,
starting when?

I'd be interested to know the answer just to see what setup allowed them
to be that boneheaded long enough ago that everyone didn't immediately
realize what a bad idea it was.

> UFS limits us at 32k, NetApp at 64k. If we were designing this, yes,
> we'd want to come up with a better scheme or hash things out, but it
> really is essential we replicate their set up for the closest
> simulation.
>
> Does anyone know of a file system that can handle upwards of 100,000
> sub-directories in root?

Shot in the dark?  Can you do the 100K in a sub-dir and chroot into
that?  (This may be a wildly wrong-headed idea, I've never looked into
those kinds of limits.)

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out,
JP