Lee Marzke on 2 Sep 2009 17:57:25 -0700

Re: [PLUG] File System Directory Limits

Tim Allen wrote:
> Sheesh, sounds like its tmie to get an OpenSolaris box. I'd heard of
> ZFS but never checked out the specs... guess we don't need any more
> file systems any time soon.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Tim

BTW,   If you need ZFS, check out NexentaStor SAN ( Solaris Kernel,
Ubuntu/GNU user tools ) and a
Appliance GUI ( this is a limited demo / commercial product )

Other reasons for ZFS:

I had always thought that LVM snapshots could be created,  deleted, or
reverted to,  just like
the options you get with VMware snapshots.   What a mistake.

About all you can do is snapshot a volume, backup the snapshot,  and
delete the snapshot.

Reverting a volume to the state of the snapshot ( which I wanted to do )
is not written yet!

So,  the ZFS snapshot options look really attractive.   Not only that,
each write to an LVM
volume with a snapshot causes a read, and (2) writes because of the
copy-on-write (COW)
where the soon to be modified data is moved to the snapshot copy.    In
ZFS  snapshots do not
cause any performance penalty.

But,  ZFS uses lots of RAM for this functionality.

Lee