Lee Marzke on 3 Sep 2009 20:20:00 -0700

Re: [PLUG] data in $HOME

JP,

To avoid NFS mounts on my Ubuntu laptop I do the following:

I run an Ubuntu server VM as my file server, slim music server, etc.  In
cases
of music it's all stored on an an external NAS box in the 'media' NFS
share.  I also
have NFS shares specifically for ISO' and other large files.

So the laptop uses SSHFS to the Linux server and indirectly accesses the NAS
through the NFS connection on the server.

Ubuntu  has the Desktop option ( Places, connect to Server ) which does
a SSHFS
connection for you )  This doesn't give you a real mount point,  only a
GUI folder.  If you
need that you may want to script sshfs mounts.

Note you may have to use IP addresses ( not DNS ) if you need this to
work over OpenVPN , depending on how your DNS works over the VPN

I move all large downloads ( ISO's ) to the NAS,   the rest of the data
on the laptop
can stay there.   The laptop is LVM full disk encrypted.  I use
duplicity to backup the laptop
to the server using my own script available here:
ftp://4aero.com/pub/src/dpbackup/   ( can use rsync, ssh,  or S3 with
GPG encryption )

For Thunderbird,  I also install Lighting ( calender ),  and SyncKolab
plugin.
The syncKolab plugin converts all Thunderbird address and calendar
entries to
IMAP files  ( so that they are backed up on the IMAP server )

Lee

JP Vossen wrote:
> I don't share my $HOME dirs via NFS or anything for a couple of reasons.
>   First, since I use a variety of Linux distros, I know the dot-files
> will collide with each other.  Second, some laptops aren't always
> connected, and NFS gets really unhappy about stuff like that.  Third I
> *think* I have my U/GIDs consistent, but I'd have to check, and NFS
> wants that.  And forth I'm probably missing some other reasons.
>
> My solution thus far has been to put "data" into a $HOME/MyDocs dir on
> my main file server, and connect to that via Samba or SSHFS as needed.
> That works great.  For me.
>
> Now I'm finally getting my wife to try moving over to TB and FF on
> Ubuntu, perhaps with some Picasa (yuck) and OpenOffice thrown in.  How
> can I most seamlessly connect her to her data from Ubuntu Hardy on her
> laptop?  (Yes, Hardy, I like LTS versions.  But UbuntuOne sounds cool.)
>
> I know I could set up SSH keys and script SSHFS, but I'm not sure how
> seamless that would be and I don't want to reinvent or have to maintain
> any wheels that Ubuntu/Gnome have already solved.  (Remember, Ubuntu
> Hardy...)
>
> Clues?
> JP
> ----------------------------|:::======|-------------------------------
> JP Vossen, CISSP            |:::======|      http://bashcookbook.com/
> My Account, My Opinions     |=========|      http://www.jpsdomain.org/
> "Microsoft Tax" = the additional hardware & yearly fees for the add-on
> software required to protect Windows from its own poorly designed and
> implemented self, while the overhead incidentally flattens Moore's Law.

"Between subtle shading and the absence of light lies the nuance of iqlusion..."  - Kryptos

Lee Marzke,  lee@marzke.net   http://marzke.net/lee/
IT Consultant, VMware, VCenter, SAN storage, infrastructure, SW CM
+1 800-393-5217  office         +1 484-348-2230               fax
+1 610-564-4932  cell           sip://8003935217@4aero.com    VOIP